Review – Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
I enjoyed writing the E2 Star Trek fan fiction stories a great deal, but I figured out after a while that it had to be two kick backs in time, rather than just one.
Otherwise, some of the scenes that I really wanted to put into the story line would have been impossible or nearly impossible, without smashing canon to smithereens. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere rather neatly fixes all that.
After an initial kick back in time, the descendants of the Enterprise meets the current ship but it’s actually a second iteration of three. The second iteration is kicked back, too, and the bulk of the book is about the second iteration’s trials in the Delphic Expanse.
With certain things known, such as crew members’ sexualities and mate preferences, a lot of stress of the first three books essentially disappears. Almost everyone opts for an ‘instant replay’. But then some things go wrong, and not everyone can get what they want or who they want. In keeping with what I had established in Together, Lili ends up with José Torres.
- Neil Young – Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
- The Beach Boys – Surfer Girl
- Dusty Springfield – I Only Want to Be With You
- The Sweet Cupcakes – Santa Claus is Coming to Town (because that group was made up by me, this version is by The Cheetah Girls)
- Miles and Winston Davis – Silent Night (the story only specifies an instrumental version, and I liked this one when I heard it)
- Everybody Knows This is Nowhere on Ad Astra
- Everybody Knows This is Nowhere on Fanfiction.net
- Everybody Knows This is Nowhere on Fictionpad
The story is rated M.
This book is far sadder but also more spiritual. Lili has to heal from some horrible hurts, and she doesn’t treat José too well at all in the beginning. I suppose that having her behave somewhat rottenly at times really pulls her out of the Mary Sue category for good. The story, I feel, hits its marks well, and ultimately soars.
Like this page? Tweet it!
You can find me on Google+.